30 June Update:  Minutes of the 21st June Club Meeting are available.  Highlight from the Minutes: - ACT Government Grant Application re. Business Plan – has been approved.   Planning to write to both the Moruya and Bega Clubs seeking their operational intentions. AGM – will be held on 19 July 2011 at the Weston Club, 1 Liardet Street, Weston ACT. Letters will be sent to all members notifying them of the meeting.  Nominations open for CBSC Official positions.  MNSW Seminars – Applications completed and will be forwarded.  CBSC Spring Promotion – The Austrian Club is to be contacted re. possible venue for display and promotion day.


Meeting Number: 36

Date: 21 June 2011

 

Place: Weston Club, Weston. 

1. Start time: 7.15

2. Members present: Greg Gallagher, Lee Donnelly, Wayne & Heather Martin, Mick Hayes, Dave Clifton, Kenny Carratt, Karan Walker, Jason Neiberding.

3. Apologies:  John Walker, Fred Senger

4. New Members/Visitors: 

5. Minutes of previous meeting:  Previous minutes unavailable.

6. Business arising:

6.1 ACT Government Grant Application re. Business Plan – has been approved.   

6.2  Moruya – Lee inspected the track and met with Club representatives.  It was agree that we write to both the Moruya and Bega Clubs seeking their operational intentions following our meeting.

7. Secretary's Report:

7.1 Correspondence in:

MA – Accepting rule change proposals.

MNSW – Speedway State Championship Submissions 2011/12 season

MNSW – Proposed consultation meetings with affiliated clubs.

7.2 Correspondence out: Nil

8. Treasurer’s report:  

Dave tabled the Delegates Report, Minutes of the MNSWAGM 19 May 2011

9. General Business:

9.1  CBSC AGM – will be held on 19 July 2011 at the Weston Club, 1 Liardet Street, Weston ACT. Letters will be sent to all members notifying them of the meeting.

9.2  Nominations were received for CBSC Official positions.

9.3  MNSW Seminars – Applications completed and will be forwarded.

9.4 CBSC Spring Promotion – The Austrian Club is to be contacted re. possible venue for display and promotion day.

 

Next CBSC Meeting AGM:  19 July 2011.    Meeting closed: 8.10


7th June Update:  We have been informed that our application for funding to employ a consultant to help us develop a strategic plan for speedway in the ACT has been successful!!!  Any support, or ideas that might go into this strategic plan would be very welcome.  

 

11th May Update: Minutes of the 11 May Club Meeting are available.  Highlights from the Minutes: - We are now affiliated to MNSW.  Submission to the ACT Motorsports Development Program, if successful, would result in funding to develop a strategic plan for the sport in the ACT, and speedway's future participation in the ACT Motorsports Funding Program.  Proposal to Surfair Speedway regarding the running of this year's Jack Hogg meeting at Moruya in August.


Meeting No. 35

 

Date: 11 May 2011 Place: Harmonie German Club, Narrabundah.

 

1.            Start time: 7.05 pm

2.            Present: John Walker, Greg Gallagher, Mick Hayes, Lee Donnelly, Dave Clifton.

3.            Apologies: .Karan Walker, Keith Turner, Jason Neiberding.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: Accepted Greg Gallagher, seconded Mick Hayes.

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Fairbairn track - still no progress. 

6.2  Affiliation to MNSW:  our affiliation was accepted by MNSW on 28 April.  Very timely, as it came three days before the deadline for submissions to the ACT Community Motorsports Development Program.

6.3  Submission to the ACT Motorsports Development Program.  Committee members met with a consultant, and accepted his proposal to help us write our submission.  The submission was handed in on time, and if successful would result in funding to develop a strategic plan for the sport in the ACT. This is seen as an essential step in speedway's future participation in the ACT Motorsports Funding Program. 

6.4  Moruya - Lee and Greg to visit Moruya and put a proposal to Surfair Speedway regarding the running of this year's Jack Hogg meeting in August.

6.5  Accounts - Lee has family who are qualified accountants.  We must fix this before the end of the financial year.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: Emails from Rod Florence (ACT Territory Venues & Events) and consultants Chris Beattie and Brendan Lynch, re Community Motorsports Development Program Funding. Letter of affiliation from MNSW.  Certificate of Public Liability under MA Insurance Ltd.   

Out: Submission to the ACT Motorsports Development Program.

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 Balance of $1422.62 at 21 April.

9.            General Business:

9.1 Officials courses - now we are affiliated with MNSW, we can go ahead with officials courses.  We already have qualified Referee, Race Secretary and Scrutineer.  Deferred until after AGM.

9.2 AGM.  Agreed to hold the 2011 AGM on Tuesday 19th July at a venue to be announced.

9.3 New venue.  Agreed to approach the Weston Club, which has several suitable meeting rooms.

Meeting closed:  7:50 pm

     

Next CBSC General Meeting: TUESDAY 21st June 2011, 7pm (venue - probably the Weston Club.  Call John Walker 0417 489 281 to confirm or watch the website)


26th April Update:  Minutes of the 20th April Club Meeting are available.  Highlight from the Minutes: - Committee members will meet consultants after Easter to put together a submission to the ACT Motorsports Development Program. The Canberra Times printed the following article in its local news pages on Sunday 24th April:


Meeting No. 34

Date: 20 April 2011 Place: Canberra Services Club, Manuka.

 

1.            Start time: 7.05 pm

2.            Present: John Walker, Greg Gallagher, Karan Walker, Mick Hayes.  Note: low attendance due to late date change and Easter holidays.

3.            Apologies: Lee Donnelly, Dave Clifton.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: Accepted Greg Gallagher, seconded John Walker, with the date amended to 9th March.

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Fairbairn track - still no progress. 

6.2  Affiliation to MNSW:  paperwork sent to MNSW some weeks ago, but nothing received back yet.

6.3  Moruya - general discussion of how to promote a revival of speedway at Moruya.

6.4  Accounts - Jason not yet made contact.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: Emails from Rod Florence (ACT Territory Venues & Events) and consultants Chris Beattie and Brendan Lynch, re Community Motorsports Development Program Funding.    

Out: Michael Inman, Canberra Times, re Mark Webber support for bringing speedway back to Canberra.

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 No change.  Treasurer unable to attend, after crashing at Broadford.

9.            General Business:

9.1 Committee members will meet consultants after Easter to put together a submission to the ACT Motorsports Development Program. 

Meeting closed:  7:50 pm

     

Next CBSC General Meeting: WEDNESDAY 11th May 2011, 7pm (venue - Harmonie German Club, Narrabundah. ACT - note the change of Venue - the Services Club burnt to the ground!)


14th April Update: Dave Clifton's trip to Broadford to fly the Bulls' colours at the SSRAV Club day and Classic Meeting didn't turn out the best.  See the photo sequence 40, and 43-47 at Martin Creely's website: - click here.  Martin is a regular photographer at Broadford and you can see plenty of his work at www.ssrav.org.au.  Fortunately, latest word from Dave is that he has some broken ribs but otherwise not too bad. 


Meeting No. 33

Date: 9 March 2011 Place: Canberra Services Club, Manuka.

 

1.            Start time: 7.30 pm

2.            Present: John Walker, Wayne Martin, Dave Clifton, Lee Donnelly, Greg Gallagher, Kenny Carratt, Helen Brown.

3.            Apologies: Karan Walker, Heather Martin, Mick Hayes and Keith Turner.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: Accepted Wayne Martin, seconded Dave Clifton.

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Fairbairn track - no progress. 

6.2  Affiliation to MNSW:  paperwork sent to MNSW.

6.3  Meeting venue - agreed to make Canberra Services Club our regular meeting place.

6.4  Moruya - Greg met Martin Vidgen - looking very positive for a revival of speedway at Moruya.

6.5  AAccounts - Jason not yet made contact.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: Nil.    

Out: Nil

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 Financial Statement received with funds totalling $1,681.20.  Payments - MNSW - $255 and Incoming Memberships - $30 yet to be processed.  Payment of $35 for a wreath for Bill Powell's wife's funeral approved.

9.            General Business:

9.1 The club will consider the purchase of a Junior speedway solo.

9.2 Albion Park motor show discussed as possible Club display next year.. 

Meeting closed:  8.00 pm

     

Next CBSC General Meeting: WEDNESDAY 13th April 2011, 7pm (venue - Canberra Services Club, Manuka. ACT)


Meeting No. 32

Date: 10 February 2011 Place: Austrian Club, Mawson.

 

1.            Start time: 7.30 pm

2.            Present: John Walker, Wayne and Heather Martin, Dave Clifton, Mick Hayes, Jason Neiberding, Michael Carscadden, Keith Turner.

3.            Apologies: Karan Walker, Lee Donnelly, Greg Gallagher, Kenny Carratt, Helen Brown.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: Accepted Dave Clifton, seconded Mick Hayes.

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Fairbairn track - Dave Clifton and John Walker had visited Fairbairn and checked out a suggested layout of the track, which would be 300m in length.  It would present opportunities for riders to learn a wide range of techniques because of its size, shape and geography.  Because it has to be fitted into the pre-existing dirt track, the speedway track would have comparatively long straights and tight bends - more like a British track than the majority of Australian tracks (almost exactly the same dimensions as Oxford).  Adding to the uniqueness of the layout is a gentle slope, which would have solo riders going slightly downhill into turn one, up through turn two and the back straight, with a downward slope again from turn three to the chequered flag.   The possibility of a junior track inside would also exist.  Generous spectator areas and all facilities would overlook the track, and existing dirt-track fencing would appear adequate.  Some earthworks and track surface will be necessary, and the Club understands that the ACTMCC will be organising equipment soon. 

6.2  Affiliation to MNSW:  as we are now into the New Year, we will proceed to affiliate with MNSW.  This will allow us to take advantage of their Officials Licensing programme as soon as possible.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: A letter from Queanbeyan's Mayor regretting that no possible site for a track was currently available in the city.    

Out: Nil

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 Financial Statement received with funds totalling $1,679.78 

9.            General Business:

9.1 The Club must urgently have its 2009-10 Accounts audited and the necessary reports filed with the ACT Registry.  Jason nominated a qualified accountant, who will liaise with the Treasurer.

9.2 Surfair Speedway (Moruya) appears to be back in business after a period of turbulence.  President Martin Vidgen has asked for our help in getting the circuit back into operation.  Greg will liaise with Martin.  

   9.3 Future Committee meeting location and dates.  While the Austrian club is very pleasant and has served us well since the demise of the Serbian Club, there is nowhere that we can sit quietly and discuss Club matters, other than in one of the public areas.  We will check out other options.  The meetings would also change to the second WEDNESDAY of every month. 

Meeting closed:  8.40 pm

     

Next CBSC General Meeting: WEDNESDAY 9th March 2011, 7pm (venue - possibly Polish White Eagle Club, David St, Turner. ACT)


Meeting No. 31

Date: 9 December 2010 Place: Austrian Club, Mawson.

 

1.            Start time: 7.45 pm

2.            Present: Greg Gallagher, Dave Clifton, Mick Hayes,  Kenny Carratt, Helen Brown.

3.            Apologies: John & Karan Walker, Wayne and Heather Martin, Fred Senger.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting:

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Officials Licensing – The application for affiliation with MNSW is withheld until January 2011.

6.2  The Albury speedway meeting scheduled on 27 Nov. 2010 was cancelled.  

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: Email from John Walker in Europe on business.    

Out: Nil

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 Financial Statement received with funds totalling $1,679.78 

9.            General Business:

9.1 ACTMCC – Greg and Dave attended a meeting of the Dirt Track Sub- Committee on 2 December 2010. The outcome was that the ACTMCC are supportive of a speedway track being built inside the Dirt Track, and are willing to carry out construction work. The CBSC agreed that further discussions be held with the ACTMCC regarding the construction of the proposed speedway track.   Moved: Kenny, Seconded: Helen.

9.2 Greg had a limited view (through closed gates) of Seiford Oval, Queanbeyan, and concluded that it would be ideally suited as a speedway venue.

9.3   Kowen Forest – it was suggested that it could be a suitable location to construct a speedway track.  Further information is required.   

  

Meeting closed:  8.40 pm

     

Next CBSC General Meeting: 13 January 2011 (TBC)


Meeting No. 30 - cancelled - committee members unavailable.


Meeting No. 29

Date: 14 October 2010 Place: Austrian Club, Mawson.

 

1.            Start time: 7.05 pm

2.            Present: John & Karan Walker, Greg Gallagher, Dave Clifton, Jason Neiberding, Kenny Carratt, Mick Hayes.

3.            Apologies: Wayne and Heather Martin, Keith Turner, Steve Mesics, Peter Devitt.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: accepted by Dave, Seconded by Kenny.

6.            Business arising:

6.1 Membership – The CBSC will offer Jim & Sue Smith free membership due to exchange difficulties.

6.2 Mark Webber. John received a letter from Mark Webber offering support for a Canberra/Queanbeyan Speedway.

6.3 John sent a letter to Tim Overall the Mayor of Queanbeyan.

6.4 VSRA Dinner – John was invited to speak about the CBSC, and was well received.

6.5 MCC Fairburn Park – Discussions are continuing with the MCC about the possible erection of a speedway track inside the dirt track.    

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: Letter from Mark Webber.   

Out: Letter to Tim Overall.

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 Membership renewal of $10 received from Jason Neiberding.

8.2 Received $300 from Empire Services for advertising.

8.3. Financial Statement totals $1678.54   

9.            General Business:

9.1 The Serbian Club is now closed, and the Austrian Club will be contacted with a view to hold future meetings there.  

9.2 The combined Speedway Clubs Christmas display will be held on 15 December 2010, at Marylands.

Next CBSC General Meeting: 11 November 2010.

Meeting closed:  8.30 pm


 

Meeting No. 28

Date: 9 September 2010 Place: Serbian Club, Mawson.

 

1.            Start time:7.05 pm

2.            Present: John & Karan Walker, Greg Gallagher, Wayne and Heather Martin, Keith Turner, Dave Clifton, Mick Hayes.

3.            Apologies: Kenny Carratt, Jason Neiberding.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: accepted by Keith, Seconded by Greg.

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Officials Licensing – Application form to affiliate with MNSW has been received.  The form will be completed and returned.

6.2  John received a request from Ben Hartman  (Mark Webber’s management team), regarding Mark's support for a Canberra Speedway.

6.3  Albury speedway meeting will be held on 27 Nov. 2010. It will be an Individual solo, and Sidecar meeting.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence in: Ben Hartman.  Application form for MNSW affiliation. Karan Kennedy (TAMS).  Out: Nil

8.            Treasurer’s Report:  

8.1 Membership renewal of $25 received from Jim and Sue Smith (UK).

8.2 Dave met up with Jim and Sue whilst in England.  They attended the Edinburgh Monarchs speedway, and Dave was warmly welcomed by the Club.  The Monarchs proposed that they become a Sister Club to the CBSC.  Further contact will follow.  

9.            General Business:

9.1 Agreed to write to the Fairbairn Park Motorsport Council re: options for CBSC track.

9.2 After hearing about a new consultation process listed in the Canberra Times, regarding the ACT Gov. Sport and Recreation Strategic Planning Process, John made contact with Secretariat Karen Kennedy (TAMS).  She wrote a response advising of a web site which will be operational shortly.

9.3 It was noted that the CBSC will need to be audited asap.

9.4 There is a new CBSC Web site.  http://www.canberrabullsspeedway.org.au/.  Email address: canberra.bulls@ozemail.com.au

Next CBSC General Meeting: 14 October 2010.

Meeting closed:  8.35 pm


Meeting No. 27

Date: 12 August 2010

Place: Serbian Club, Mawson.

1.            Start time:7.05 pm

2.            Present: John Walker, Greg Gallagher, Wayne and Heather Martin, Jason Neiberding, Keith Turner, Helen Brown, Kenny Carratt, Mick Hayes.

3.            Apologies: Karan Walker, Lee Donnelly, Dave Clifton.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: accepted by Wayne, Seconded by Jason.

6.            Business arising:

6.1  Officials Licensing – Seminar Nominations form was sent to MNSW, however, the CBSC must be an affiliated club.  It was decided to affiliate with MNSW.

6.2  John received a call from Mark Weber’s management team, and an up-date was provided by John.

6.3  Albury speedway meeting will be held on 27 Nov. 2010. 

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

7.1  Correspondence in: Cheque from Empire Management Services RE: CBSC Magazine advertising. 

7.2  Out: Nil

8.            Treasurer’s Report:        

9.            General Business:

9.1 Need to re-visit the ACT Government Motorsport Plan.

9.2  Agreed to write to the Fairburn Park Motorsport Council re: options for CBSC track.

Next CBSC General Meeting: 9 September 2010.

Meeting closed:  7.50 pm


Meeting No. 26

Date: 15 July 2010 Place: Serbian Club, Mawson.

 

1.            Start time:7.07 pm

2.            Present: John & Karan Walker, Greg Gallagher, Wayne and Heather Martin, Jason Neiberding, Mick Hayes.

3.            Apologies: Dave Clifton.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: accepted by Greg Gallagher, seconded by Karan Walker.

6.            Business arising:

  6.1    Officials Licensing – names are to be forwarded to MA NSW.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

  7.1    Correspondence in: Membership renewal from Jason Neiberding. 

  7.2    Correspondence out:

8.            Treasurer’s Report:        

9.            General Business:

   9.1   John reported having a discussion with the Queanbeyan Mayor regarding suitable sites for a speedway track. A number of possible sites around Queanbeyan were discussed, with the Mayor taking quite a positive attitude to the proposal.  It will now be passed to the City Planning department for evaluation.

   9.2   As progress has slowed considerably since the rejection of our approach to the Canberra Greyhounds Club, CBSC meetings will now be held monthly, on the 2nd Thursday of each month.

   9.3   John has produced a promotional DVD, showing racing from the 2010 Polish GP, in a packed-out brand new purpose-built stadium, with "Bring speedway back to Canberra" adverts showing stills of Canberra Bulls of the past.

         

Next CBSC General Meeting: 12 August 2010.

Meeting closed:  8.10 pm


Meeting No. 25

Date: 1 July 2010 Place: Serbian Club, Mawson.

1.            Start time:7.15 pm

2.            Present: John & Karan Walker, Greg Gallagher, Keith Turner, Mick Hayes.

3.            Apologies: Lee Donnelly, Dave Clifton.

4.            New Members/Visitors:

5.            Minutes of previous meeting: accepted by Greg, Seconded by Karan.

6.            Business arising:

6.1    Letter received from David Dawes, ACT Dept. Land and Property Services re: available land in the ACT.

6.2    Licensing – no response from the Bega Club re: names for courses.

6.3   Response from the Albury/Wodonga MCC re: use of the speedway track for practice.

7.            Secretary’s Report: 

Correspondence     In: Letter from D. Dawes (ACT Gov).  Email from Joel Mallatt (Albury/Wodonga MCC). 

                             Out: Email sent to Louise Menday (Palerang Council).

8.            Treasurer’s Report: Balance as at 21 June 2010 $1,641.10.       

9.            General Business:

John reported that a speedway meeting promoted by Terry Poole and himself is scheduled to be held at Albury in November 2010.

Next CBSC General Meeting: 15 July 2010.

Meeting closed:  8.10 pm